ICEPAC problems with AMD processors
There are several reports that ICEPAC will fail on some circuits
with a variety of AMD processors.
Included on this web page
is a sample circuit you can use to see if you have the problem.
- Download the file airmail1.ice.
- Place that file in the ..\saved\default\ directory.
- Run ICEPAC (the Point-to-Point icon).
- Select File/Open, and specify the file named above.
- Select Run/Circuit, and see if you get an answer.
- If you get the "Blue Screen of Death",
then that means you have the problem.
- I have one report that says this problem was solved when Windows XP was installed.
- This is with an AMD Duron processor
- Since Windows XP Professional has been installed, no problems occur
- Anyone with an AMD processor, please let me know if this test case works
or fails on your system.
- I will update this web page with the information.
- Also let me know what operating system and processor you are using.
- Since I do not have access to an AMD processor, I cannot easily solve this problem.
- Here is another response from a user who solved the problem with a patch from MicroSoft.
- The following is an email correspondence from Jan deGraaf:
Glad to be of any help; but bear in mind it refers only to the AMD-K2/350
MHz processor in combination with a certain version of Win95 (and I am not
sure if many of those combinations are still widely in use, and find it a
bit strange why this was not mentioned earlier). Still, you can find the
The title for the patch on that page is:
"Windows 95 Update for AMD-K6-2/350" and includes a - read me first - which
provides detailed information on the issue and installation instructions.
There used to be a referal on the AMD.com site, but it seems that is has
been removed (makes sense if you are in the business of selling as many
Athlons, Durons and all the rest of it...).
Van: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Verzonden: woensdag 27 november 2002 16:40
Onderwerp: Re: AMD processors
That is good news.
What is the OS patch you mention?
How would I direct someone to it?
> Dear Greg,
> Following your request concerning ICEPAC and (certain) AMD processors I am
> pleased to let you know that while using AMD-K2-500MHz and Win98/SE/XP and
> WinK2 never a single problem related to the ICEPAC family occured (I am not
> able to report on Athlon and Duron yet).
> Consequently, the - airmail1.ice performed perfectly well.
> May be old news, (and it was never mentioned on your site as well, but
> When using an AMD-K2-350MHz or faster and Win95 certain errors occured
> including the - blue screen of death - This was related not to ICEPAC but to
> the combination of OS and the processor for which problem a patch is
> Jan - pa8cw.